Sacramento – and its surrounding communities – is known as America’s Farm to Fork Capital, and we have some incredible Farmers Markets to prove it! Here are some tasty summer recipes using farm fresh ingredients with our olive oils and balsamic vinegars!
Three Tasty Summer Recipes with Farmers Market Ingredients:
From Roseville to Lincoln to Auburn, Placer County is filled with several different Farmers Markets that take place at various times throughout each week so you can grab all the freshest ingredients for these delicious summer recipes! Even the upcoming Farm-to-Fork Festival in Sacramento can be the perfect place to find inspiration! Wherever you decide to shop, you’ll be able to find all the ingredients you need, along with your favorite Pairings oils and vinegars, to make each of these simple and tasty recipes:
Nutritious and delicious, once you try these kale chips you’ll find yourself craving them as a daily snack! Luckily, they’re very easy to make. We used this Food Network recipe as a guidelines to creating our own version:
- 6 cups tightly packed kale leaves (about 1 bunch), center stems removed and torn into bite sized pieces
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil (we recommend using our Garlic Olive Oil or our Tuscan Herb Olive Oil, however feel free to get creative! If you find a combination you enjoy please share with us)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 300F
- Place kale, olive oil and seasonings in a large plastic bag, making sure to coat the leaves thoroughly.
- Spread kale onto 2 large baking sheets and bake for 22-26 minutes. Leaves should be crispy when done.
- Enjoy! This snack is best served fresh, so we recommend making your kale chips fresh for each serving.
Avocado and Grapefruit Salad
This recipe is summer in salad form, and your friends and family will be wowed by how refreshing and colorful it is! We like this recipe from the Food Network, but similar to the kale chips, you can get creative with your own flavor combinations:
- 2 large red grapefruits (if you don’t love grapefruits you can also substitute with oranges)
- 4 ripe Haas avocados
- 1 lemon (squeezed for its juice)
- Spinach or butter leaf lettuce (to place beneath finished salad)
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar (we recommend using our Aged Tangerine Balsamic, but you can also dress with another one of our flavored olive oils or balsamics depending on your desired flavor profile)
- Cut your avocados in half, remove the seeds and peel off the skin. Cut each half into 4 thick slices.
- Toss the avocado slices in the lemon juice to prevent them from browning.
- Peel the grapefruits (remove all the white pith) and cut to release the natural grapefruit segments.
- Arrange your spinach/lettuce on a platter, and place alternating slices of avocado and grapefruit to create two rows.
- Drizzle your balsamic vinegar or oil over the top.
Whether you’re looking for a dip for some chips or something to sprinkle over your favorite tacos or quesadillas, this summer salsa is sure to be a crowd pleaser! We modified this recipe from MyRecipe to create our own version:
- 1 cup diced fresh peaches
- ½ cup diced cucumber
- 1 jalapeno pepper (seeded, if desired) and diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp Handcrafted Artisanal Serrano Honey Vinegar
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- Stir all ingredients together in a small bowl until well-mixed
- Ready to serve!
Feel free to get as creative as you want with these – and many of our other recipes – using several of our olive oils and balsamic vinegars, paired with your local, fresh Farmers Market ingredients! If you discover a flavor combination that you enjoy, please feel free to share with us!